Saturday, May 17, 2014

Okashi: Snacks from Japan ♡

 

Today I'll talk about food, something everyone loves. The bad thing about bringing food from a trip is that eventually you'll eat it all and maybe you'll never be able to get some of the things again. Food is a sensitive subject for me, as some of you might know I used to live in the U.S, it was over my senior year in high school, 4 years ago, I frequently get homesick (not-actual-home-homesick) and start remembering the taste of the favorite things I used to eat there and never NEVER got to eat ever again and this makes me way too sad.
In January I went to Uruguay with my boyfriend and it's pretty frustrating that some of the foreign snacks we got there we are very unlikely to find again :/
And even though we do have an Asian district in my city, with several grocery stores full of Asian stuff we don't get every single Japanese snack ever, sometimes you buy something there and they never stock this something again. So when I put together all the crazy, exotic, yummy tasting snacks my boyfriend brought from Japan and looked at them I thought "Just try not getting too attached".
Having tried a lot of those snacks already it's safe to say: it's too late, I already miss them.


The thing I miss about the U.S and love about Japan is the ridiculous variety of flavors and options we can only dream of here in Brazil, here we only have two flavors of Fanta (grape and orange), Kit Kat? The most exotic you'll find is peanut butter while in Japan the flavors range from strawberry to wasabi.

- Candy
If there's one thing I love and cherish in this life it is a good dose of sugar, I don't think I ever spent a day in my life without eating at least one sweet.


Along with Jelly Beans gummy candy is my favorite, I bet my boyfriend picked this Pokémon gummies because the packing features Sylveon ♡. I already tried the raspeberry and Fruit Stars ones too, the raspeberry is hard to describe but Fruit Stars is a lot like Swedish Fish (which can't be found anywhere in Brazil and I miss way too much) but star shaped and strawberry flavored. The Pokémon ones are nothing exotic just pineapple, grape and peach flavored gummies.


Heart shaped fruit gummies covered in very sour sugar, I tried peach, apple and soda, grape, lemon and the collagen one (the one with the bigger packing) which so far is my favorite. I love sour candy so I found the Puré Gummy range quite enjoyable but if you're not into sour tangy things I wouldn't recommend those.


Chupa Chups are my favorite lollipops. Here in Brazil if you are lucky you can find 4 flavours: orange, cherry, strawberry and strawberry milk. When I went to Uruguay I got a special box with "rare" flavors that included Watermelon, Lemon and Green Apple, so when I got these japanese ones I freaked out: Royal Milk Tea, Cola, Ramune, Matcha Frappé, Pineapple, Caramel and I'm not sure if the last one is pudding or some kinds of ice cream cone you tell me:

(Click to enlarge)
The Royal Milk Tea tasted just like plain milk, the ice cream one tasted like chocolate, and the other ones tasted like you would expect them to taste, my favorite was the pineapple one but I haven't tried the Matcha Frappé one yet.


- Chocolate and cookies
I'm not a big fan of chocolate on it's own, but chocolate with something else is a whole another thing. My favorite chocolate ever is Daim from Sweden which obviously can't be found in Brazil, at least we can find the Milka Daim version even if over priced. Chocolate goods from Japan so far were amazing, I can't wait to try more.

Strawberry, Green Tea, Orange, Wasabi and Cinnamon Cookie Kit Kats.
I love Kit Kat, the regular one, because this is the one we can get here. The exotic japanese ones were even better. I tried matcha (green tea), strawberry, wasabi and this one that tastes like a cinnamon cookie, they were all great but I have to pick wasabi and green tea as favorites.


Pocky is probably the most famous okashi ever, it's sooo over priced in Brazil that I always buy Korean Pepero instead. I tried the Snoopy ones and the Green Tea one. The Snoopy one in the blue box has crumbs of chocolate cookies attached to the pretzel stick. My favorite so far is the Green Tea one, I love matcha flavored things and they are rare in Brazil.


I bet my life that my boyfriend got me this because of the cute packing. The bunny one are chocolate covered corn puffs, the panda one is the only one I tried and it's popcorn covered in dark chocolate and the koala one are raisins covered in chocolate.


This picture features two of my favorites: raspeberry mini Oreos and chocolate covered mochis, they both were soooo good, I still have some left and I fighting hard the urge to eat them in one bite. The Tokyo Banana is a soft banana flavored cake with yummy banana cream inside, it's pretty good I have to agree but I don't understand the whole hype about it.


Cone shaped strawberry and chocolate flavored things that I haven't tried yet. You probably see this Meiji cone chocolate all the time at your local Asian market but I haven't seen this at mine in a long while.


Dried strawberry covered in white chocolate from Muji which was pretty good, picture that I posted on Instagram hence it's edited.


- Things that are not sweet
I do love sweets but that doesn't mean salty snacks are less craved. Most of them are already over, gone, gone forever.


The only one I haven't eaten yet is the yellow tube of rice crackers but about the rest of them...Potato snack in a funny shape: too good. Cup with little vegetable flavored potato sticks: way too good. Soy sauce flavored Pretz: really good. Rice crackers in the green packing: too salty. Potato snacks in yellow packing: pretty good, tasted like barbecue. Snacks that look like uncooked noodles: good too. The potato in a cup is my favorite, it's awesome everyone should try it.


Furikake (rice seasoning) and cute anime packing curry. The hype on the pink packing furikake is that it actually has little flowers:


- Drinks
 I was so excited to try Melon Fanta, ever since I was a kid I heard the posh Asian kids in school talking about it. I haven't tried just yet but once I do I'll let you guys know what I think on Instagram.


Melon Fanta, Pear Fanta, Hello Kitty and Rilakkuma water bottles and juice that comes in a sachet. I tried the Pear Fanta and it's pretty good, the water bottles were bought purely and only for the packing since they are reusable.


Peach Juice from Minute Maid that looks yummy I want to try this but packing is so cute that I don't wanna ruin it ♡ . If you notice the blue cat is drinking the juice creating a inception '-'
I guess that's all, please comment telling me your favorite foreign snacks that you can't easily get where you live ♡

Thank You
for reading

8 comments:

  1. The number one sweet I miss from US is corn candy! Everytime October comes around I get so nostalgic ; _ ;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corn candy is the symbol of Halloween hahaha I think it looks so pretty but the taste is a little odd and weird to me, thank you for your comment ^o^

      Delete
  2. Wow that candy looks so yummy. I really wish I could try japanese candy as it looks soo yummy. Btw the water bottles look really cute xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing about the water bottles is that you can keep using them :) Thank you for commenting <3

      Delete
  3. Oh dear, just by looking I can say how yummy they must be...(except wasabi kitkat...too exotic for me) ( ̄(エ) ̄)ゞ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the weird thing is that I don't even like wasabi either hahaha but the kit kat was surprisingly good '-'

      Delete
  4. Your blog is so beautiful! I love matcha chocolate and also Japanese kitkat...my friend came back from japan last year and brought me all different types of kitkat! Wasabi was strangely enjoyable. In Australia we have a lot of these snacks here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? I have quite a few Australian friends on the internet and they seem quite supplied with Japanese imports, I'm jealous hahaha ^^

      Delete